Ceylan Utlu moved from Turkey to The Netherlands forty years ago to provide his left-wing ideology with western knowledge. After having had the education he wanted, he would go back to make himself useful to his own country. His half-Turkish half-Dutch daughter wonders why things didn’t go the way her dad planned it and asks him about immigration, integration, relationships, and loneliness.
As both father and daughter consciously do not talk about everything, gaps arise in the portrait. These gaps are filled with stylised scenes that tell a story by themselves. The combination of designed elements and documentary makes BABA a 14 minute surrealistic portrait with a light-hearted tone that fits the main character. Second film in a series of documentary shorts, where design is combined with film to shift the focus in the debate around immigration. The first film in this series was NOBU(2018).
Experimental documentary short | 00:14:02 | Documentary/Fashion Film | Themes: Immigration, Fashion, Family | 1.85:1 | The Netherlands | Spoken language: Dutch, Turkish | Subtitles: English, Dutch | Format: DCP, ProRes | Dolby 5.1 & Stereo LtRt
BABA(2020) is also available together with the exhibition of all haute-couture in the film, a series of photographs or as a series with NOBU(9 min, 2018).
Director: Sarah Blok & Lisa Konno
Producer: [boondocs] – Jasper Boon
Director of Photography: Simon Meesters
Editor: Tessel de Vries
Sound Design & Mix: Gijs Domen
Composer: Ricky Cherim
World Premiere: International Film Festival Rotterdam, Voices Program, 2020.
- International Film Festival Rotterdam, Voices Program, 2020, The Netherlands.
- 49th Kyiv International Short Film Festival ‘Molodist’, short film program, 2020, Ukraine.
- Leiden Shorts 2020, short film competition, The Netherlands
- Into The Great Wide Open 2020, film program, The Netherlands.
- Imagine Science Film Festival 2020, shorts competition, US.
- Izmir international short film festival 2020, panorama section, Turkey.
- Aesthetica International short film festival 2020, fashion competition, U.K.
- Best Dutch Short, Leiden Shorts 2020, The Netherlands.