Ceylan Utlu moved from Turkey to The Netherlands forty years ago to provide his left-wing ideology with western knowledge. After having had the education he wanted, he would go back to make himself useful to his own country. His half-Turkish half-Dutch daughter wonders why things didn’t go the way her dad planned it and asks him about immigration, integration, relationships, and loneliness.
As both father and daughter consciously do not talk about everything, gaps arise in the portrait. These gaps are filled with stylised scenes that tell a story by themselves. The combination of designed elements and documentary makes BABA a 14 minute surrealistic portrait with a light-hearted tone that fits the main character. Second film in a series of documentary shorts, where design is combined with film to shift the focus in the debate around immigration. The first film in this series was NOBU(2018).
Experimental documentary short | 00:14:02 | Documentary/Fashion Film | Themes: Immigration, Fashion, Family | 1.85:1 | The Netherlands | Spoken language: Dutch, Turkish | Subtitles: English, Dutch | Format: DCP, ProRes | Dolby 5.1 & Stereo LtRt
BABA(2020) is also available together with the exhibition of all haute-couture in the film, a series of photographs or as a series with NOBU(9 min, 2018).
Director: Sarah Blok & Lisa Konno
Producer: [boondocs] – Jasper Boon
Director of Photography: Simon Meesters
Editor: Tessel de Vries
Sound Design & Mix: Gijs Domen
Composer: Ricky Cherim
World Premiere: International Film Festival Rotterdam, Voices Program, 2020.
- International Film Festival Rotterdam, Voices Program, 2020, The Netherlands.
- 49th Kyiv International Short Film Festival ‘Molodist’, short film program, 2020, Ukraine.
- Leiden Shorts 2020, short film competition, The Netherlands 🏆
- Into The Great Wide Open 2020, film program, The Netherlands.
- Imagine Science Film Festival 2020, shorts competition, US.
- Izmir international short film festival 2020, panorama section, Turkey.
- Aesthetica International short film festival 2020, fashion competition, U.K.
- Festival du Court Métrage de Clermont-Ferrand 2021, international competition, France.
- Vers Awards, 6-8 August 2021, LAB111, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- Reykjavik International Film Festival 2021, Dutch Focus Program, 30 September – 10 October 2021, Iceland.
- PLONS! International Short Documentary Festival, Dutch competition, 8-9 October 2021, the Netherlands
- Terra da Film Festival 2021, international competition, 29 July – 1 August 2021, Italy
- Flying Film Festival 2021, short documentary competition, December 2021 – January 2022, the Air
- Festival of Tolerance 2021 – JFF Zagreb, shorts program, 1 – 10 July 2021, Croatia
- Milwaukee Film Festival 2021, short film competition, 6-20 may 2021, USA
- Lille international short film festival 2021, international competition, 17-26 September 2021, France.
- Best Dutch Short, Leiden Shorts 2020, The Netherlands.
- Best Fashion Short, Aesthetica International Short Film Festival 2020, U.K.