A lonely young boy makes his very first friend, but because of his miserable existence this friendship is ill-fated.
In the gloomy Dutch countryside of the 1950s a lonely eight-year-old boy drags himself to school and back every day. On his route he lets out his frustration on the same wooden pole every time he passes, until one day he runs into another boy doing the exact same thing. The two boys instantly become best friends and spend the following days running up and down the hills and playing war games in the woods. This pleasant distraction however does not free the boy from his miserable daily existence. As the friendship evolves it becomes clear that it’s a matter of time until the boys’ innocence will succumb to a gruesome, but inevitable, fate.
Short film | 00:11:39 | Narrative Fiction | Themes: Bullying, Youth | 1.85:1 | The Netherlands | Spoken Language: None | Subtitles: None | Formats: DCP, ProRes | Sound: Dolby 5.1 & Stereo LtRt | Black & White
Written & Directed by: Kim Kokosky Deforchaux
Producers: Kim Kokosky Deforchaux & Titus Kokosky Deforchaux
Cinematography: Christiaan van Leeuwen
Editor: Tobias Cornelissen
Sound Design: Olmo van Straalen
International Premiere: Busan International Short Film Festival 2020, international competition, South-Korea.
- Netherlands Film Festival 2019, official selection, The Netherlands.
- Busan International Short Film Festival 2020, international competition, South-Korea.
- Leiden International Short Film Experience 2020, Dutch competition, The Netherlands.
- L’Étrange Festival 2020, international competition, France.
- Imagine Film Festival 2020, Homegrown Competition, The Netherlands.
- 11th Cinefantasy International Fantastic Film Festival 2021, international competition, Brazil
- Madeira Fantastic FilmFest 2021, international competition, Spain.
- Fantaspoa – International Fantastic Film Festival of Porto Alegre, international competition, Brazil