Sam, a 17-year-old boy, struggles with the disapproval of his father when he wants to become a Muslim. On the day of performing the Shahada he needs to make a decision.
The shadow of his father travels with Sam like a backpack. It is a black cloud that is always above his head. It is a guilt he carries with him, because he never wanted to hurt his father or to put him in a difficult position. His father is afraid to lose his son, and tries to protect him out of love. For Sam it is more an inner conflict: you want your family to accept you the way you are, but on the other side you want to believe in the things you feel is right.
Color, 5 min, fiction, drama, animation.
Director & Animator: Madeleine Homan
Screenwriters: Perla Vita Beerens & Elvira Porcedda
Producers: Thijme Grol, Julie Janssen
Cinematography: Niels Lelieveld
Editor: Selle Sellink
Sound Design: Koos van der Vaart, Selle Sellink
Composer: Tom Schipper
Production Design: Madeleine Homan
Art Director: Louka Hoogendijk
- Keep an Eye Filmfestival 2018, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- Sharjah International Youth Film Festival 2019, short competition, UAE.
- Van Eigen Bodem Festival 2019, shorts program, The Netherlands.
- Whitaker St. Louis International Film Festival 2019, animation competition, USA
- ReAnimania Film Festival 2019, graduation film competition, Iran.
- Short Movie Sunday 2019, shorts program, The Netherlands.