Moral questions and the search for identity come together in this short documentary about what ‘home’ means as an halve European, halve African child.
By combining old and new footage Festus Toll(We Will Maintain, IDFA 2017) explores his bicultural identity in an experimental and essayistic way, that comes close to a hip-hop videoclip. The film balances between the Netherlands and Kenya, fear and hope, failure and happiness, homelessness and home, what others make of you and who you really are.
Documentary short | 00:25:02 | Essayistic Documentary Film | Themes: Bi-cultural identity, Racism, Immigration | 1.85:1 | The Netherlands | Spoken language: Swahili, English| Subtitles: English, Dutch | Format: DCP, ProRes | Dolby 5.1 & Stereo LtRt
Shot & Directed by: Festus Toll
Producer: [boondocs] – Jasper Boon
Editor: Emiel Nuninga
- Nederlands Film Festival, debut competition, the Netherlands, 2020.
- GoShort International Short Film Festival 2021, Dutch Competition, the Netherlands.
- Busan International Short Film Festival 2021, international competition, 21-26 April 2021, South-Korea
- Moscow international Documentary Film Festival DOKer, short competition, 18-27 June 2021, Russia
- Shortcutz Amsterdam, 26 October, Amsterdam, the Netherlands
- Go Short Arnhem, Gouden Hert Competitie, 9-12 September 2021, the Netherlands.
- Vers Awards, 6-8 August 2021, LAB111, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- Manlleu Film Festival, international competition, 6-11 July 2021, Spain
- Reykjavik International Film Festival 2021, Dutch Focus Program, 30 September – 10 October 2021, Iceland.
- Leiden Shorts 2021, diaspora program, 2-5 September 2021, The Netherlands