NOBU is a personal portrait of a lighthearted Japanese immigrant. NOBU tries to add humour and optimism to the Dutch debate on integration.
NOBU is a short film about former world champion karate and Japanese immigrant Nobuaki Konno. In this film his daughter and fashion designer Lisa Konno asks him about cultural differences while he wears a collection she made for him.
This debut film combines aesthetics with humour and social engagement with optimism.
Color, 9 min, documentary, fashionfilm.
Concept & Fashion Lisa Konno
Director Sarah Blok
Producer Sara-Liz van Til
Director of Photography Marc Slings
Sound Design Gijs Domen
Editor Fatih Tura, Joshua Menco, Tom Oud
Music Ricky Cherim
Grading Koert van de Ploeg(@Ambassadors)
NOBU is now available as Staff Pick on Vimeo
- Flatpack Festival 2019, short film competition, UK.
- International Film Festival Assen 2019, Kersvers competition, the Netherlands.
- Rotterdams Open Doek Festival 2019, CinemaAsia program, the Netherlands. 🏆
- Rialto Short Film Festival 2019, short film competition, the Netherlands. 🏆
- Eindhoven Film Festival 2018, short documentary competition, the Netherlands.
- PLONS! international documentary film festival 2019, documentary competition, The Netherlands.
- Sapporo International Short Film Festival 2019, out of competition programme.
- Festival international du court metrage Lille 2019, international competition. 🏆
- Szczecin Film Festival 2019, European documentary competition. 🏆
- Shortcutz Amsterdam 2019, documentary competition. 🏆
- Humans of Film Festival 2020, short film competiton, the Netherlands. 🏆
- Best Short Film, Rialto Short Film Festival 2019.
- Nomination: Best short documentary, Eindhoven Film Festival, 2019.
- Best Short of the Month, Shortcutz Amsterdam, 2019.
- Audience Award, European Competition, Szczecin Film Festival 2019.
- Audience Award, International competition, Festival International du Court Métrage Lille, 2019.
- Audience Award, Humans of Film Festival 2020, short film competiton, the Netherlands.